Working in Canada Report
The Working in Canada Web site provides job seekers, workers and those who are new to the Canadian labour market with the information required to make informed decisions about where to live and work. The site can assist individuals who are searching for work or looking to make career decisions.www.workingincanada.gc.ca
Before you start looking for work you need to find out what kinds of jobs you are qualified to do. Qualifications are skills, education, work experience, language ability and, in the case of regulated trades and professions, a certificate or licence.
Mechanical engineers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Conduct research into the feasibility, design, operation and performance of mechanisms, components and systems
- Plan and manage projects, and prepare material, cost and timing estimates, reports and design specifications for machinery and systems
- Design power plants, machines, components, tools, fixtures and equipment
- Analyze dynamics and vibrations of mechanical systems and structures
- Supervise and inspect the installation, modification and commissioning of systems at construction sites or in industrial facilities mechanical
- Develop maintenance standards, schedules and programs and provide guidance to industrial maintenance crews
- Investigate mechanical failures or unexpected maintenance problems
- Prepare contract documents and evaluate tenders for industrial construction or maintenance
- Supervise technicians, technologists and other engineers and review and approve designs, calculations and cost estimates1.
Additional information :
- There is considerable mobility between mechanical engineering
- specializations at the less senior levels.
- Supervisory and senior positions in this unit group require experience.
- Mechanical engineers work closely with civil, electrical, aerospace, chemical, industrial and other engineers, and mobility is possible between some fields of specialization in these disciplines.
- Engineers often work in a multidisciplinary environment and acquire knowledge and skills through work experience that may allow them to practise in associated areas of science, engineering, sales, marketing or management.
Mechanical Engineer I
Designs, develops, and tests all aspects of mechanical components, equipment, and machinery. May require a bachelor’s degree in engineering and 0-3 years of experience in the field or in a related area. Has knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field. Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job. Works under immediate supervision. Primary job functions do not typically require exercising independent judgment. Typically reports to a supervisor or manager.
Mechanical Engineer I Vancouver, BC Median 75th%ile
Vancouver, BC $53,507 $57,871 $62,718